Big butts are big business. Products like butt pads, pills, creams and injections have seen their sales increase dramatically over the years. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, cosmetic surgeons across the country performed nearly 10,000 buttock augmentations, up from the approximately 8,500 done in 2012.1 The Brazilian butt lift is among the fastest growing plastic surgeries, with a 58% increase from 2012.1
While more and more women are turning to artificial methods to enhance their butts, exercise may be the safest, cheapest and healthiest way of all to get the butt they desire.
The Benefits of Butt Exercises
Why should ladies exercise to get a big butt when they can simply buy one instead?
• Increased stamina. The glutes support the body in all types of activities from simply standing to running. A butt that’s toned and in shape from exercise won’t suffer from fatigue as quickly.
• Relieves pressure on the lower back. A fit and toned butt helps a person walk more efficiently and with a better stride. Strong glutes can also help with posture, thus decreasing the chances of low back pain.
• Increased bone density. Women can start losing bone density at age 30, setting them up for issues like osteoporosis later in life. Exercises that work the body and glutes are believed to stop or even prevent age related bone density loss.
• Reduced body fat. The glutes and hamstrings are two of the largest muscles in the body. More calories can be burned when doing exercises that target these areas, thus helping to reduce unwanted body fat over the entire body.
• Better proportions. Various butt and leg exercises will shape and mold the glutes and the surrounding muscles such as the thighs and hamstrings. Exercise can also help slim the waist, accenting the hips and glutes even more.
The Top Butt Exercises
Here are the top exercises to shape and define the butt naturally. A person does not have to join a gym or use additional weight to do many of these exercises.
(Squats can be performed with or without weights.)
Action: Keep legs shoulder width apart. To work the glutes, keep the back straight while going as low as you can comfortably.
Perform 2 sets of 15
Action: Lay on your back with your feet comfortably planted on the floor. Raise your butt off the floor until only your feet shoulders and head are on the floor.
Note: Make an effort to squeeze the glutes at the top of the movement.
Perform 2 sets of 30.
Rear Leg Lifts
(Can be done standing or on the floor.)
Action: If on floor, start on all fours. Lift left foot off floor with bottom of foot towards ceiling. Repeat sequence with right leg.
Perform 2 sets of 25
(Can be performed with or without weight.)
Action: Start with legs shoulder width apart. Slowly squat down on one leg while keeping the other leg straight. Hold for a second, then slowly rise and lower to the other side.
Perform 2 sets of 15.
Note: Can be done with one leg off ground as a variation. This exercise targets the hamstring more than the glutes, but it helps give the leg balance and symmetry.
Action: Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Slowly bend over with knees straight, but not locked. Go down as far as you can comfortable, feeling a stretch in the lower back and hamstring. Slowly rise up to starting position.
Perform 2 sets of 15.
Note: There are many variations of lunges. They can be performed with or without weight, as well as walking, in one spot or stepping onto a platform. Do not look down as this will create improper form. Be careful not to put any undue stress on knees by doing too deep of a lunge.
Action: Stand with feet comfortable apart. Take one step forward, and bend both knees at the same time, keeping the back straight and looking forward. If walking, move forward with the rear leg and repeat, bending both legs. If in one spot, simply step back to starting position and lunge forward with the opposite foot.
In addition to the above exercises, try the following tips for a toned and shapely butt:
Take the stairs. Stairs are a great way to strengthen the legs and shape your butt without any additional effort.
Watch what you eat. Diet and exercise go hand in hand. In order to get the body (and booty) of your dreams, it’s essential that you drink plenty water, avoid the processed foods, and eat plenty fruits, veggies and lean protein.
Be realistic. Thanks to different body types, not everyone can have a butt like Beyonce or J-Lo. With that said, you can still have a nice butt. Be realistic with your expectations and work with what you have.
Want a nice butt? With hard work and patience, it’s possible to get the butt of your dreams.
Jeff White is a certified personal trainer, author and wellness coach. He believes a strong mind and body go hand in hand, and both are needed for optimum performance. Jeff is the author of the award winning and Amazon Best Seller The 3 Pillars of Strength: Increasing Your Physical, Mental, and Spiritual Fitness.